Super easy to make bean burgers. Don’t taste like meat.
- 1 tin red kidney beans, drained
- 1 tbsp granulated onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs (basil, thyme, oregano, yadda yadda)
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley or 1 tbsp dried
- 1 tspn yeast extract (Marmite, Vegemite etc)
- 1 T vegetable stock, I use a paste**
- 1 tspn jalapeño, or 1 whole fresh chili
- 1 tbsp tapioca or other starch
- 1/2 cup vegetable juice*
- 1/2 cup oats*
- 1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs*
- extra breadcrumbs for coating
- *you may need to adjust these ingredients as the moisture of your mixture may vary depending upon the ingredients you use and the extent to which you blend them. Using fresh onion will make it more moist too
- ** adjust to taste as different types of stock have varying amounts of salt
- TIP: to make gluten-free sub breadcrumbs with more oats and coat with popped amaranth
Put all ingredients in a blender or food processor, zap transfer to a bowl and leave to rest for a while. You can also mash the beans with a fork, but this may require using less moisture. Chop any fresh ingredients you use as small as possible if mixing by hand.
After about 15 min, the mixture should be dry enough to form patties. If it is too dry or too moist, adjust as required.
Form into burger shapes and coat with bread crumbs, then shallow fry and drain on paper towels.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Please note that the decision to publish recipes is in the name of promoting veganism and helping save our planet. If you change the recipe, I request that you also make your work available free to others.